Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Still missing you, Candan

Candan`s Blog Site

This past weekend I went up to Acadia National Park in Maine, my favorite place in the world (well, I haven't been very many places). Since you died last March, I have been longing to be there, up high in the mountains where I cannot see a ribbon of road or a rooftop or any sign of people. I feel like I am at the beginning of time when I am there, and I badly needed to feel the peace that comes with being there.

But I miss you, Candan. Tomorrow my parents will arrive from South Carolina to see Mara graduate high school this Sunday. As I worked today, I was thinking that in another universe--one in which you didn't become ill--this might have been the time when you would have met my parents, Soren's grandparents, if we had been lucky enough to keep you for a few extra weeks at the end of your junior year. I remember a letter you wrote me once about how much your grandfather meant to you, how you liked to climb the hills with him and gather fresh oregano and watch the sunset. My parents would have loved you, Candan, like everyone else who met you. When they come tomorrow, I will show them this Web site so they can see some more pictures of the lovely young woman Soren loved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home