Friday, May 05, 2006

What Mevlana Celaleddin-Rumi once said...

Rumi was an outstanding poet, philosopher, humanist, sufi (no one word can describe Him) who founded the Muslim sect "Mawlawi-sm". He summoned and welcomed everyone to faith no matter his/her past. His followers are popularly known as the "whirling dervishes". Below is an excerpt (my quick draft translation to be refined later) from his work "Mesnevi", translated into English as "Mathnawi". (Reed flute is "Ney" in Turkish; it is a very common instrument not only in religious music but also in Turkish classical music.)


"The Reed Flute wails because it has fallen separate from the reed growth. Man too has been exiled to the world from the realm of eternity, from the realm of spirit. He is in agony because he has fallen separate from God."

"- Be all ears to what this Reed Flute is saying; it is complaining about separations.
- The Reed Flute is the friend, the comrade of who has separated from his Beloved. Its burning sound has torn down our curtains that prevented our union with God.
- The Reed Flute says in a language peculiar to itself: 'Ever since they cut me off from the reed growth, both men and women with feelings have been whining and crying at my wail. However, not all who listen to me can understand what I am saying.'
- Not all can hear my scream. In order that I be understood, I be heard, I want a sensitive being that has suffered the pain of separation, that has been wounded at the heart - so that I can tell him my pains, my troubles."

I share the Reed Flute's feelings. At last you are where you belong; rest there, my Love!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home